Aging in Place vs Retirement Community with Senior Living Options
According to the Department of Health and Human Services, someone turning 65 today has almost a 70% chance of needing some type of long-term care services and support. U.S. News reports nearly 9 in 10 Americans (88%) between 50 and 80 years of age said living at home was important as they grow older, but nearly half (47%) admitted they'd given little or no thought to the steps they'd need to take so they could comfortably age in place at home. An AARP-sponsored poll found that only 1 in 3 middle-aged and older adults (34%) said their home had the necessary features that would allow aging in place. Plus, more than 1 in 4 (28%) said they live alone and of those, 48% said they didn't have someone in their lives who could help them if they needed help with bathing or getting dressed.
Why Not Move to a Senior Living Community in Zeeland, MI?
Even with all these statistics, many older adults resist moving into a senior living community for a variety of reasons. While change can be scary, some of the reasons older adults may not want to move are based on outdated assumptions about senior living communities, including:
- It means giving up: After you visit a few senior living communities in Zeeland, MI. like Royal Park Place or Homer Glen, IL like Victorian Village, you'll quickly realize the residents aren’t giving up, but are actually enjoying life more.
- I’ll lose my independence: Some older adults think moving to a community means they'll have to follow someone else's schedule. The reality is you still get to do the things you want to do …you just have more options.
- I'll see my friends and family less: Many senior living communities in Zeeland, MI. have private dining rooms and other spaces you can use to entertain guests. Plus, the community culinary staff can help you plan a menu and even cater it for you.
- It's too expensive: When you compare living in at a community — like Victorian Village or Royal Park Place — to the cost of updating and maintaining your current home, you may find its more affordable than you think. When you consider all the on-site services and amenities, plus the security of access to higher levels of care, you’ll start to see the true value of making a move.
- I'll have to get rid of a lot of my stuff: Moving to a smaller place does mean you may have to downsize, which can be difficult. But after moving, many people find they don’t miss what they let go of and are relieved to give unneeded items to their family and friends.
Benefits of Senior Independent Living in Homer Glen, IL
- Designed for older adults: Independent living communities in Homer Glen, IL. are purpose-built for seniors and include all the safety and accessibility features you need for worry-free living.
- Maintenance-free lifestyle: When you own a home, there's always something that needs to be maintained, repaired, painted, weeded or mowed. Retirement communities will take care of all indoor and outdoor maintenance, giving you the freedom to live life your way.
- Healthier meals: When cooking for one to two people, you may go for what’s easy over what’s good for you. The culinary team at most communities takes great care to plan menus that are delicious and nutritious. Plus, you don't have to worry about grocery shopping or doing the dishes.
- All-inclusive monthly bills: When you move to a community, one check covers it all, including most utilities, property taxes, and services and amenities.
- Social connections: We fondly remember our neighborhoods as places we worked, raised a family and made friends. But as your neighbors move away, your neighborhood may start to feel less familiar. By moving to a senior living community, you’ll be surrounded by people with similar life experiences and interests, making it easy to make friends.
- Clubs, committees and classes: No matter what your hobby is, you can probably find someone who shares your interests. Calendars are filled with daily activities, and you're free to do as much (or as little) as you want.
- Peace of mind: When you choose a community like Royal Park Place or Victorian Village you’ll have access to higher levels of on-site care, if ever needed. Depending on which you’ll choose, your options could include assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and senior rehabilitation.
Live Your Best Life at Victorian Village or Royal Park Place
As you review your lifestyle options, consider scheduling a tour at Victorian Village located in Homer Glen, IL, or Royal Park Place in Zeeland, MI. You’ll discover a worry-free community filled with friendly neighbors enjoying a variety of services and amenities.