These instructions are adapted from the Deaconess Health System in Indiana. These masks are reusable after washing and sanitizing. WE NEED AS MANY AS WE CAN GET!
Our preference is for 3 layers, as follows:
What you will need
100% Cotton Fabric (either quilt fabric or batik fabric work best).
Clean pillow case or bedsheet (flat works better). The sheet fabric is a tighter weave and helps to act like a filter.
- 1/8” to 3/8” flat elastic (we’ve tried the cord elastic, but this is softer on the ears).
- Cut the elastic into 7” long pieces.
- Use a size 14 or 16 needle on your sewing machine.
How to assemble
Cut 9” x 6” rectangles from the cotton print and the sheet fabric. Be sure any fabric design is placed horizontally.
Put the sheet fabric down on your table first, then put a print fabric on top of that right side up. Then put another print fabric on top of that, face down.
- Put the elastic in between the print layers and place the edges of the elastic out to the corners, pinning through all layers.
- Mark a 2”-3” opening in the center of the bottom of your rectangle.
- Using a ¼” seam allowance, start to sew around the rectangle, starting at a mark for the opening, back stitching across the elastic at each corner.
- Go around the rectangle to the opposite mark for the opening.
- Turn the mask inside out.
- Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are in the same direction. The tucks are about ½” each. Pin in place.
- Sew around the edge of the mask twice, making sure to fold in the opening so the opening is sews shut.
There are many videos online, but a good, short, well done video is:
Please send your finished masks to:
Masks for Providence, Providence Life Services, 18601 North Creek Drive, Tinley Park, IL 60477
They can also be dropped off at our Corporate Office (address above) between 8-4, or at any of our Providence communities.
In addition, you can call us at (708) 342-8100 and we will schedule a time to pick them up from you.
Thank you for helping us during a difficult time!