Effective rehabilitation — it’s all about getting you back to your life
Providence knows this. When you have to make a fast decision about the best effective rehabilitation, it’s helpful to have someone who understands your diagnosis, and can explain the available options. A Providence clinician will actually meet with you in the hospital and help make your discharge to rehab as smooth as possible.
Our rehabilitation providers
Obviously, we believe the best subacute rehab is available from a Providence location! We partner with effective rehabilitation providers at our locations. In Indiana we partner with Alliance Rehab (a subsidiary of Symbria). In Michigan we partner with Agility Health, another respected provider.
Questions to ask about rehabilitation
But even if you decide not to choose Providence, we want you to have the best experience possible. Make sure you ask these questions of any rehabilitation provider you’re considering:
- How much time will I spend with a therapist each day?
- Do the therapy staff specialize in any particular areas?
- Is there a formal system in place for evaluating my progress?
- What is the staff-to-patient ratio?
- Is a Nurse Practitioner available?
- What other physician specialists would be part of my care team?
- What is the typical length of stay?
- Is the facility accredited by The Joint Commission?
- Do the nursing staff have the experience and training to handle complex, skilled needs?
- Are the accommodations comfortable?
After all, effective subacute rehab is about getting you back to your life! When you are well enough to leave the hospital, but not quite strong enough to return home, subacute rehabilitation is designed to strengthen muscles or help you develop new adaptive skills, so you can succeed at home on your own and avoid returning to the hospital! Subacute rehab — Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, or Speech Therapy — is typical following these kinds of medical procedures or conditions:
- Hip replacement
- Knee replacement
- An accident or injury
- Oral or laryngeal cancer
- Shoulder surgery
- Heart attack
- Huntington’s Disease
- Atrophy following an extended hospital stay
- Lower back pain
The Providence difference in effective rehabilitation
Providence rehab centers in Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan provide expert therapy in a faith-based, caring environment. We have people available to help you settle in and answer your questions. Our chaplain will visit and pray with you if you like. You can review the activity calendar for social options when you’re not in therapy. Free wi-fi will let you stay in touch with family and friends. Our chef-prepared meals each day will help you regain strength and health. And at the end of your stay, an on-site Social Worker will serve as your Case Manager, helping plan your discharge and your transition to home.
Ask your doctor to refer you to Providence for effective rehabilitation
Many physicians have a default allegiance to a particular rehabilitation provider. And many patients don’t feel qualified to question their physician’s referral. If this is your first hip replacement surgery, for example, you are willing to trust your physician to choose the best rehab provider on your behalf.
But your physician may not be able to take into account the intangibles that are important to you — a location that’s convenient for family to visit, for example; or a facility that offers private rooms; or a rehabilitation experience that also accommodates special dietary needs or religious preferences. Those kinds of considerations might be less important to your doctor, but you know they will impact your overall recovery. So don’t be afraid to ask your doctor about rehabilitation at the Providence community nearest you:
- Illinois – Downers Grove (Providence Healthcare & Rehabilitation)
- Illinois – Elmhurst (Park Place Health & Wellness Center)
- Illinois – Homer Glen (Victorian Village Health & Wellness Center) “Small House”
- Illinois – Palos Heights (Providence Healthcare & Rehabilitation)
- Indiana – St. John (Park Place of St. John) “Small House” rehab provided by Alliance Rehab, a fully owned subsidiary of Symbria
- Michigan – Zeeland (Providence Healthcare & Rehabilitation) rehab provided by Agility Health
People who know about effective rehabilitation
The best way to find out about rehab at a Providence location is to ask people who’ve been there. For example, Ardess Van Prooyen. Following her knee surgery, she chose Park Place (the Providence location in St. John, Indiana) because (1) it had the therapy services she needed, (2) it was conveniently located, and (3) her husband Burt (who no longer drives) could stay with her. When she returned to her doctor for a check-up, he was very impressed with her progress. So she returned to Park Place when she had her other knee done!
You can read Ardess’s whole story — including what she told the staff at Rush Hospital — here. And to read shorter blurbs from rehab clients at all Providence locations, choose from the options below. The links will take you to pages of actual quotes from actual clients at these locations:
- Park Place Health & Wellness Center (St. John, Indiana) – Rehab Reviews
- Park Place Health & Wellness Center (Elmhurst, Illinois) – Rehab Reviews
- Providence of Downers Grove (Illinois) – Rehab Reviews
- Providence of Palos Heights (Illinois) – Rehab Reviews
- Victorian Village Health & Wellness Center (Homer Glen, Illinois) – Rehab Reviews
Want more information about rehabilitation services available in West Michigan, at our Providence of Zeeland location? Use this link:
Rehabilitation at a Providence community changed John’s life
John Kovas received physical and occupational therapy at Providence of Downers Grove. He says he got 10 years of his life back! View the video below to learn more about John’s experience:
Then choose the Providence community nearest you when you need expert, effective rehabilitation in a comfortable setting!